Saturday, February 23, 2013

Witch's Rock Canopy Tour

Saturday, February 23

Guest Blog by Janet

Saturday am - We are fledglings out of the nest. Knowing little Spanish and being without our "tour guides", Connie and Bob, we booked our first trip alone. We arranged to be picked up and taken to the location of Witch's Rock Canopy Tour on Papagayo peninsula, which is 30 minutes north of Playas del Coco.

My goals were two: to manage our way through unfamiliar country without getting lost and, more importantly, to come back alive. We had never tried zip lines, but we knew that this trip would be a "once in a lifetime" thrill. It was a now-or-never opportunity that we were not going to miss.

As luck would have it, we were picked up in El Coco by the owner of the company. Chuck was born and raised in Pittsburgh, was a hippie during the Vietnam era, and was present during the Kent State shootings. He is now a successful architect who has designed homes for the stars in the USA and in Europe.

So, we had lots to talk about on our trip. Chuck's zip lines were the first in the country to be licensed and insured. In fact, all subsequent zip lines have been fashioned after his unique safety measures. That put me at ease.

Then we learned that over 200 celebrities have enjoyed his zip lines. Here are some of the celebrity photos we saw: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Michael Douglas with Catherine Zeta-Jones and kids, Charlie Sheen with his former wife, Jason Alexander, Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie, Sylvester Stalone, Steven Tyler, former presidents of various South American countries, and sports figures such as Roger Clemens. I was comforted by being in the company of such notable people, so this place was probably safe and I would walk out intact. However, my false sense of security was short-lived.

Before we started, our first task was to sign a full-page liability waiver covering equipment failure and staff irresponsibilities. My heart was in my throat, but I was undaunted.

After suiting up, the group awaited our instructions and practice. I surmised about 30 minutes for this, given that our safety is paramount. As it turned out, our guide quickly ran through everything once, which lasted all of 5 minutes. He then ushered us to our first platform at the top of an incline.

Conditions: It was brutally hot, my heart by now was pounding wildly out of control, and I questioned my sanity as I peered at my goal - a tiny platform far away in the distance. What was I thinking???

I have to say, when you are flying along a cable high above a chasm, you are truly alone. There is no one whispering in your ear, "Good job. You'll make it." But make it, I did - and the next, and the next - 12 cables in all, the longest stretching 1,485 feet.

Aside from almost blacking out from heat exhaustion (the guides sent extra water to me, which I promptly poured over my head and down my tee shirt), I did just fine and avoided slamming into any trees. What kept me going was knowing that the oldest participant in previous months was a 93-year-old woman (who had just retired as a columnist for the New York Times), who completed all but the two longest cables on the course. I was NOT going to let her best me!

I have to say, it was a thrilling day - but not for the faint of heart. For anyone who would like to soar above the trees and to see the world as a bird, this is for you. For me, it was a challenging adventure that pushed me beyond my comfort zone. I'm exhilarated and feel like I can accomplish anything. Today we shop for my superwoman cape.

Richard and Janet, survivors of the Witch's Rock Canopy Tour, Papagayo peninsula, Costa Rica. [Photo by Connie]

 

No comments:

Post a Comment