Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Lights Out in El Coco

This evening we went out to dinner at La Dolce Vita - an Italian-style restaurant within the Las Palmas community in the commercial complex known as Pueblito Sur. This complex is perhaps a ten-minute walk from our condo. This is the third time we have been to this restaurant, which we enjoy for its delicious food, romantic ambience, and reasonable prices.

We settled into a table for two in the outdoor courtyard, enjoying the soft lighting as the sky slowly darkened. There was recorded music playing softly in the background, and I laughed as I realized that they were playing 50's music. Many of the songs they were playing are ones that our Share-the-Music group will be performing in May. Wendy and friends, if you are following this blog, know that there was at least one night when I practiced many of the songs in our show, including All I Have to Do is Dream, At the Hop, and Earth Angel. [Bob sang along too.]

When we left the restaurant, we ambled back towards our condo, when suddenly the entire Las Palmas development went black. The electricity had gone out. But the amazing thing was that rather than being upset, we were in awe, because suddenly the sky was alive with a blazing display of stars. I have only ever seen a display like this one other time in my life, in the middle of the desert outside Uluru (Ayers Rock), Australia.

We encountered a Security Guard with flashlight and asked what had happened. He did not know, of course, but did say that all of El Coco was without power, not just the Las Palmas development. Using Bob's iPhone as a flashlight, we made our way back to our condo. Coincidentally, we had gone grocery shopping earlier today and we happened to buy a candle. We forgot to buy matches, but fortunately we were able to borrow some from our neighbors, Colleen and Ray. I asked if these blackouts happened often and they said, "Yes, they happen frequently."

This is all a part of what people take in stride when they speak of La Pura Vida. The French might say, "Que sera, sera." The Buddhists would speak of non-attachment.

As I lit our one candle, I thought of the old cliche saying, "It is better to light one candle than to curse the darkness," and I knew exactly what that meant.

While the lights were out, we sat outside and gazed at the magnificent sky. At one point, I saw a shooting star, and Bob said, "That will bring you luck." I already think I am one lucky woman. Who could ask for more?

No comments:

Post a Comment